.

.

.

.

Thursday

Former Catholic Priest Ousted for Breaking Celibacy Vow Prefers Married Life, Fatherhood Over Priesthood

Rev. Alberto Cutié and his family five years after he left Catholicism to get married and become an Episcopal priest.
A well-known former Roman Catholic priest, the Rev. Alberto Cutié, opened up to Oprah recently about his scandal five years ago, when he had a relationship with his future wife while still a priest.

Cutié updated Oprah on the recent episode of "Oprah: Where Are They Now?," sharing how happy he is being a father of two children under the age of three.

"Being a father is an incredible experience because people called me a father for many years but being a biological and spiritual father are two very different things," said Cutié.

Cutié was known for his popular Spanish-language television and radio talk shows and his work within the Catholic community in South Beach. During his time in the priesthood in 2009, he became romantically involved with a parishioner, Ruhama Canellis, whom he was caught kissing on a beach by the paparazzi and whom he later married.

Cutié was ousted by the Catholic community for breaking his vow of celibacy after being celibate for two decades, and then was ordained with the Episcopal Church shortly after.

"Right after the story broke and I was on Oprah, it was a real time of change and transition for me. As I look back, I wish I would've said it sooner," said Cutié. "I wish I would've gone out and done everything that I was really planning and I think many people, friends and family, were offended because of the way it happened but when paparazzi took the pictures, they kind of told the story for me."

He married Canellis the same year and took on the role of step-father to her son, who is now 19, from a previous relationship. He also said other priests email or call him daily because they find themselves in a similar position as he was.

Five years into his marriage, Cutié reflects that he wishes he had not been "paralyzed by fear" to share his relationship sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment